Testimonials from students and parents
“This class was really awesome. My favorite parts were getting to look inside a computer, making my own avatar and making a mini robot. The part about the future of technology also appealed to my creative side. Since I am a tactile learner, the hands-on activities were perfect for me. It was also easier to focus in the all-girl setting. The instructor was amazing and an inspiration to me — I was impressed that women can do all these things. I gained a lot of confidence about dealing with technology in the future. The class made me feel smart! I have recommended it to many of my friends already since I think all girls should have the chance to learn these things.”
~ Allegra S. age 11
“- Parto let us do our own thing. What we did was our own creation.”
– Learning robotics and programming by trial and error was great. It was good to be able to do test runs and learn from them.”
– Even when a robot ran into a wall because something did not work, there was no embarrassment and there would have been if boys had been in the same room. It was great that we were so excited for each other and for our successes.”
– When something did not work right, Parto said things like “maybe I can help you” or “you might want to try this…” and that was really helpful.”
– I liked that Parto came in with statistics about all the inventions women made. Women have invented and achieved so much in history, something that is not nearly as known as famous men’s inventions.”
– We also got to know each other so much better. It was a great team we had going.”
– Having a celebration or party at the end was a great way to end the class and felt really good. We really accomplished something.”
– I hope we can have a class like that again or continue this class at some point.”
~ King High School Girls
I have been meaning to write and thank you for the course. Jaymelyn had a blast! She loved it. She now wants to be an engineer… a word that is not mentioned much in our house, or at least, not nearly enough.
~ JiJi H.
“Last Spring, my 10-year-old daughter took the ISIS Technology Workshop with Parto Aram. While she enjoyed all of the activities, she was particularly enthusiastic about creating a movie using computer animation. She had no previous familiarity with programming and limited computer experience. Parto’s class helped to stimulate her interest and build her knowledge of how computers are built and how they function to achieve an outcome (like an animated movie!) Additionally, my daughter gained new vocabulary and information around semiconductors including how they are made, what is inside a chip and how transistors work. She translated all of this experience into a real appreciation of the robots that were made available to work with in class. She and other participants worked in groups and in teams to discover and experiment with technology. Working in small groups and under the guidance of a woman instructor, this class creates important peer support and offers adult support to girls exploring technology. Finally, the class also looked at areas where women have created specific technology encouraging these young girls to envision a future as a creator and inventor!”
~ Kristen N.